We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Green Man: The Magnificent God of the Forest/"Green Man" by XTC

Of all the many forms in which our Lord God takes, I must say that I love His Green Man aspect the most! He is both lover and consort to our Lady Goddess, the Earth Mother, and our Father always -The Oak King and Holly King respectively.

Historically speaking, the Green Man goes all the way back to pre-Christian Europe, Ireland, Scotland and Russia. He represents our kinship with the trees and the woods and the cycle of renewal and rebirth. He is known by many different names as He is recognized in almost every tradition. For example, he is heavily associated with Cernunnos (Celtic god of the forest), Dionysus (Greek god of Wine) and Bacchus (Roman god of wine), to name a few.

My Green Man Yule tree ornament


Our Wiccan group, Old Path Enlightener’s Circle, always honors The Green Man or “The Oak King” at our Beltane celebrations. This is the time when our Lord God and Lady Goddess unite in the “sacred rite of holy marriage.” We re-enact this sacred marriage ceremony during the symbolic Great Rite. This is one of the many reasons why I love Beltane so much and why it is amongst my favorite of our Wiccan celebrations. Lady Sabrina Rhiannon’s group, The Coven of the Silver Moon Circle, chooses a May King and Queen during their Beltane ritual. Everyone inside the circle walks in between two balefire cauldrons for a total of 9 times while making one wish each. Typically, the Celtic Fire god Bel or Belinus is honored at this particular sabbat, as the word Beltane literally means, “Bel-Fire,” but we much prefer to honor The Green Man.

Draco & Rhiannon lighting the Spirit candle during the symbolic Great Rite - Beltane 2008

Some time ago, my husband found this really awesome song called, “Green Man” by the group XTC. When I listen to it, I can’t help but to envision a huge temple in the middle of a beautiful green forest with people bowing down on their knees on the stone temple steps to worship him. I really love this song as it definitely has a special place in my heart!

“I GIVE TO THEE MY GREATEST GIFT,
A LOVE THAT’S PURE AND TRUE
ACCEPT IT WITH OPEN ARMS,
AS I HAVE DONE FOR YOU.”
-          Sal Ranieri

3 comments:

  1. I favor the Green Man too. He is who I turn to a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But of course, you ARE a Zen Witch after all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that I am, my sister! Oh my, I miss you so much some days!!!! (ok, most days) ;)

    ReplyDelete