We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Throwback Thursday


On a Silver Day
 (Orginally posted on November 30, 2010)
Last March, my friends and I had the pleasure of meeting Silver Ravenwolf, renowned author of several books on Wicca and witchcraft and a witch who is known for her eclectic style.  She came to Reading, PA to teach her seminar on Pow Wow. For those who are not familiar with Pow Wow, it is a form of German folk magick dating back 400 years ago.



 As Silver would say, "It is a belief system, not a religion!"  Pow Wow is indigenous to South Central Pennsylvania and heavily associated with a group of people called the Pennsylvania Dutch who live primarily in the Lancaster county area.  Although I, myself, was actually born and raised in Berks county, Lancaster is just a "hop, skip and a jump away," so to speak, from where I live.  My great aunts and uncles used to speak the Pennsylvania Dutch language and, growing up, I learned some as well.  


Naturally, I had heard of Pow Wow, but never really knew much about it or its' true origins.  Pow Wow draws heavily upon ancient chants, talismans and personal energy.  Unlike their ancestors, a majority of the Pennsylvania Dutch people of today do not even acknowledge its' existence - either because their faith lies strictly with Christianity and as a result they do not follow the Craft or because of the fact that over the years it has deteriorated to a great degree into simple faith healing. Unbeknownst to many of them; however, the hex signs which they hang on their barn doors for protection from fire are a form of Pow Wow. Hex signs are used for a variety of different reasons, other than protection. For example, they are also used for luck and love.  

My friends posing outside Celtic Myth & Moonlight - Sara, Lady Sabrina Rhiannon & Deb.
With Silver Ravenwolf at her book signing

I found Silver to be a terrific speaker, witty and extremely personable. Given the chance, I would definitely attend another one of her seminars and I would highly recommend them to anyone!


"Ich leibe bisht du!" (I wish you love) 

 - Lady Caer Morganna 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I've never heard of Pow Wow, but now will look into it. Sounds very interesting. I love Pennsylvania Dutch country and am fascinated by their way of life. We used to drive there once a year and eat at one of those little places where they just kept placing bowls on the table. Oh my, what delicious food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pow-Wow is a pretty interesting practice considering the history of a rather conservative Christian past for the PA Dutch/German people.

      My nana (and mostly all of the older generation of my family) knew how to make homemade PA Dutch meals ... chicken pot pie from scratch, scrapple, etc. I learned how to cook some of this food from my nana years ago. :)

      Delete
  2. Never heard of Pow Wow associated with Pennsylvania Dutch. I always though Pow Wow was a tribal gathering of Native Americans. Did Penn Dutch borrow the term? I also thought the folk art was just that folk art. Didn't realize they were hex signs and talismans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CJ, The practition of “Pow-Wow” is almost as old as Berks County itself. In 1819 a German immigrant, Johann George Hohmann, wrote a book of incantations and prayers entitled “Long Lost Friend” to be used in times of sickness and distress. The author himself is a mysterious figure in Berks County’s history. It is; however, believed that the word Pow-Wow refers to a type of shaman in the same way the Native American Indians used this term.

      Although the original purpose for the hex signs was to ward away any "witches" and any negative influences, the signs are also used for other purposes such as luck and love much like any other talisman. The the practitioners of Pow-Wow also use different household herbs and spices (sound familiar? Hedgewitch?).

      Thanks for asking!!!

      Delete
  3. I was going to write the same thing as CJ, about the Pow Wow and the folk art. Thanks for the explanations Kim! Wonderful post and wonderful comments! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete