We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience

Sunday, June 11, 2023

Update (Part 1)

Well friends, it has been rough, really rough this past month and I was actually debating whether or not to publish this post so here goes nothing ...

My mom will be discharged from Mifflin Center for rehab and my husband and I will be moving her into an efficiency apartment in the building next door to Mifflin Center called, "Mifflin Court" for a month in order to try to buy her only 30 more days to finish the rehab as Outpatient Therapy. Her POS insurance company cut her off as of last Thursday and the therapy team at Mifflin Center got them to cover her until Sunday (today). 

She is NOT ready and she will need to be at the end of her 30-day stay at Mifflin Court. Folks, I have never been so frustrated and worried at the same time. She can not live with us for obvious reasons and we would have to convince her to sell her home and land in the hopes that she will have money to live on for the rest of her life! If Medicare Part B (Medicaid) has to step in it will be only after she goes broke - and loses EVERYTHING! Yup, the government does not give two sh*ts that you work like a slave your entire life just to have everything taken away from you when you are no longer of any use to them. 

I am praying harder than I ever have that we can get her back to her home. Mifflin Court is a Senior Living Community that offers Outpatient Therapy not included in the $5,310.00 per month fee to stay there. My mom is getting a respite, but only for one month. After that, she must be out because she can not afford to stay ...

In the meantime, I have been approved for FMLA at work for the next five months - 24 hours three times a month which needs to be taken three consecutive days in one occurrence for incapacitation and only two hours every three months for a doctor appointment. Of course it is unpaid time, but it should help save my job at the very least. Tomorrow, I have to use 8 hours FMLA and my husband also took a PTO day to help get my mom situated at Mifflin Court. 

3 comments:

  1. It's just awful what happens to Elders. My parents had to go into a nursing home as I couldn't manage the 2 of them anymore. Dad had Alzheimer's and Ma had dementia (not Alz). All that they had worked for had to be spent down. After they passed, like the minute they passed, Medicaid demanded the sale of the house as payment back for the time they spent in the nursing home. I hope the therapies makes your mother strong enough so she can move back to her own home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CJ - we are praying HARD! And yes, our Government MAKES ME SICK to my core.

      Delete
  2. It would seem no matter which country in this world you live getting older and medical care does not always come cheaply or easily.
    Thinking of you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete