We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

"The Haunting" House

For as long as I can remember, I have always been fascinated by old, haunted-looking Victorian-style mansions. I find them both beautiful and intriguing. Back in 1999, my husband and I along with my friend Willow and her now hubby, Sean, saw the movie "The Haunting" in a local movie theater. I remember my friend and I turning to one another and saying, "I WANT to live in THAT house!" 💕

That being said, this post is not about the movie itself, but rather the breath-taking mansion which was used in the location of the film. 


THE FILM LOCATION FOR "THE HAUNTING"


The Great Hall of Harlaxton Manor, which was used as Hill House's games room.

Principal photography began on November 30, 1998, and ended on April 9, 1999. Harlaxton Manor, in Grantham Lincolnshire England, was used as the exterior of Hill House while its Great Hall served as the games room.

The majority of the interior sets were built inside the dome-shaped hangar that once housed Hughes H-4 Hercules, near the permanently docked RMS Queen Mary steamship, in Long Beach, California. The handcrafted interior sets cost an estimated $8–10 million to construct, and were designed by Argentine production designer Eugenio Zanetti.


One of the coolest scenes from this movie was shot in a Carousel room, inlcuding mirrors and a revolving floor ...


The movie cast: Catherine Zeta-Jones, Owen Wilson, Lili Taylor, and Liam Neeson.


3 comments:

  1. I'm also fascinated with haunted houses and the haunted house genre. Hence....Paranormal John! Shirley Jackson's novel, 'The Haunting'
    is great. Did you see the original movie with Julie Harris? It's in black
    and white and is quite moody and scary. I think it was around 1963.
    If you enjoy reading books on haunted houses, I'd recommend "Echoes of a Haunting' by Clara Miller. She wrote about her families experience in a haunted farmhouse in the early 1970's in Hinsdale, New York. They finally walked away from the farmhouse when they couldn't sell it...turning the house back to the bank and basically lost everything. Also 'House of Darkness, House of Light' by Andrea Perron. This is the book about the house they made the 'Conjuring' movie. It's actually in 3 volumes! Obviously, Halloween is my favorite holiday! LOL! Happy Hauntings!
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I have never actually seen the original 1963 movie, but I intend to. I heard many good things about it. Those books sound very interesting - thank you for the recommendations!!

      As you know, my favorite holiday is Halloween also! HAPPY HAUNTINGS!!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've seen this movie, but the house and sets are absolutely stunning. Some people have remarkable vision to imagine such things.

    ReplyDelete