We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

The masks we wear ...

There is an old saying which goes, "Not everything is always as it seems." This is never more true than with people. Today, I had some minor car troubles and, not trusting my car until hubby got home and looked at it, I decided it was smarter to stay home from work. Therefore, having some hang time, I had the very rare chance to catch up on some of the blogs I like to follow.

Upon reading a recent post on one of my favorite blogs, "The Year of the Cats," titled "Envy is eating me up," I was reminded of how more often than not people only tend to talk about or show you the good parts of their life rather than the not-so-great other parts.

Now, I can truly understand why as there certainly is enough negativity in the world as it is and who wants to hear all about your problems anyway, right? I, myself, make every effort to post mostly positive things because I feel that that is what people want to hear about? That is not to say that I am not writing the truth about my life, it simply means that I am not necessarily choosing to talk about all of my problems.

If there is one thing which I feel I have learned fairly well over the years, it is that things are not always what they seem. I also used to be somewhat envious (not jealous, mind you) of some of my most dearest friends at times as they seemed to me to "have it all."  Good jobs, great careers, family, handsome and loving husbands, and the newest, most beautiful houses. But, unfortunately, it didn't take me very long to figure out that there were also things going on behind the scenes which were never brought up or talked about ~ not even with me even though they considered me a good friend! It wasn't until the you-know-what hit the fan that the whole truth about their circumstances came to light.

I can also relate to that as well as I have had (as with most people I know) my share of trials and tribulations in my own life. In my case, I never wanted to burden anyone with my problems and sometimes I was just too embarassed to speak of them to anyone.

So, whenever you begin to feel the emotion of envy rearing its' big old green head, please try to remember that you may never truly know what is going on in someone's life and, although I believe that there may be such a thing as "a perfect life for you personally",  there is really no such thing as a "perfect" life.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent words, dear sister. So true on many levels. I don't think it is possible to "have it all", though if you did have it all, what would you have to strive for. Envy is a tough one; I think sometimes we give into it a bit when things seem so out of whack. But the sun does eventually shine again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100%....so very true. We all have masks, and for many reasons.
    Thnk you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words my friend! So true! You know what, I don't think I would want to have it all! But, I do hope one day, that I will find my man ;o) I know he's out there, when it's time, I know we will be together. I just hope I find him, while I am still walking! LOL! Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant remember where I heard this but it goes "Yeah the grass may be greener on the other side but its covered in shit." LOL I tell myself that when I think others have it so easy and great or if my life it just bleh. I count my blessings everyday even when bad/hard things are going on. If not I would loose my friggin' mind and go postal. Thanks for the blog post it was awesome!!!

    Love and Light my friend,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete