We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience

Thursday, July 19, 2012

I found a treasure ...


The other day while cleaning up hubby's Game Room, I found this little book called, "Popular Home Remedies and Superstitions of the Pennsylvania Germans." It is more like a thin pamphlet with all kinds of odd PA Dutch (German) folklore in it. You know the kind of things I am talking about ~ folk medicine, how to have good luck and avoid bad, weather forecasting, special days and seasons, moon lore, dream interpretations, how to find your future husband, marriage and sex lore,  and even superstitions about cats!

I got quite a kick out of it because, after all, we have lived here for over 10 years now and I had absolutely no idea this book was even in the house until I accidently came across it!

So, I began reading it as my curiousity had of course gotten the best of me. I thought I would share a few of the more interesting parts regarding animals with you.

In addition to the belief that the groundhog can indeed predict the weather (yes, Groundhog Day), this book also mentions other animals believed to be able to forecast weather including the beaver, bear, bull, cattle, chipmunk, deer, dog, donkey, squirrel, hog, horse, mouse, muskcrat, rabbit, sheep, wolf, and cat. In fact, it was believed that a cat lying on its' side and turning its' face upward foretold stormy weather. Other folklore regarding cats include:

1) If you touch kittens before their eyes are open, the mother will let them starve.
2) A girl should feed a cat from her shoe if she once gets anxious to marry.
3) To meet a priest, hare, cat, dog, lizard or serpent on going to church to be married are considered unlucky.
4) Place a cat in an empty cradle of a newlywed couple and the cat will grant their wish for children.

This book, although I found it to be historicaly interesting, was just plain silly and the parts which talk about the superstitions surrounding witches and witchcraft were (to say the least) pretty crazy!!! So crazy, in fact, that I shall not even presume to write about it.

It was written and researched by its' two authors, A. Monroe Aurand, Jr. and Logan Clendening, M.D and it was copyrighted in 1941.  As well as this book, Dr. Clendening also wrote "The Pow Wow Book," (as in Pennsylvania Dutch Pow Wow) "Healing by Prayer," and "Laying on of Hands."

I guess one never knows just what one will find gathering up cobwebs in their home. LOL!

6 comments:

  1. What a great find, even if it does have some wacky ideas!! It's good for a chuckle!! Definitely hang on to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. This book sounds like so much fun. I would love to read it myself.

    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great little pamphlet. It is always big fun to read things like that.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a wonderful fine, Kim! I love reading about what people really believed in years ago! Enjoy this treasure and take it with a grain of salt :)

    Big Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, this book sounds funny! Make sure you keep hold of it! If you find any more treasures, make sure you share ;o) Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a book I'd like to add to my collection!

    ReplyDelete