We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Okay, here's my Benny & Joon theme song true story ...

Joon (to Sam): "You're out of your tree."
Sam (to Joon): "It's not my tree."


Many of you who have been following my blog for quite a little while now know that my hubby and I have recently celebrated our 11th Wedding Anniversary together. But, what you don't know is that, like most couple's, we have not been without our share of trials and tribulations. The truth is, we have actually been together a lot longer than 11 years as we lived together for 7 before we got married.

So what has this got to do with the "Benny & Joon" movie or it's theme song? Well, first of all, "Benny & Joon" was the very first movie we saw together and it is also one of our favorites. But, this little story has very little to do with the movie itself and more to do with the theme song actually.

You see a few years ago, we were having some very serious marital troubles at the time and on the verge of separation. Without getting into any huge detail or anything, let's just say that he was purposely working late nights every night at work and I was spending more time away from home to escape our problems.

One night while I was out clubbing with my girlfriends, my hubby decides to come looking for me via "shoe leather express" where he thought my friends and I would most likely be. The pub we usually frequented was about 10 miles away and would take you about 17 minutes to get there if you were driving a car.  Mind you, he walked there! Why? I honestly can not answer that question other than to say that he says that he was trying to make what he considered a romantic gesture.

Anyway, he said he was coming to meet me to tell me that he had gotten a nice big raise at work and wanted to share the good news with me. His efforts were in vain; however, since I had not happened to be at my usual haunt on that particular evening. He also said that the "Benny & Joon" movie theme song, "I'm Gonna Be (500 miles)" by The Proclaimers kept running through his head for some reason.  Now I, too, can not hear that song without thinking about that ridiculous night so long ago.

And that is just one true story of our quirky life journey together so far. Thanks for listening, my friends, and have blessed weekend ALL!!!


 "Have A Little Faith in Me" - by John Hiatt

2 comments:

  1. Benny & Joon is one of my favorite movies! So glad things worked themselves out! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I am happy everything worked out! It was meant to be my friend ;o)

    ReplyDelete