We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience

Thursday, December 02, 2010

A Matter of Faith


As a Wiccan, I faithfully celebrate Yule and the Winter Solstice. As a daughter; however, I still spend the Christmas holidays, church aside, with my Christian family. There may be a few of my fellow Wiccans who might believe that in doing so, I am in conflict with my Wiccan beliefs. As I see it, I, myself, am not celebrating Christmas - I am merely respecting the fact that my family does.  I love spending time with my family and friends and since that does not interfere in any way with the fact that I am Wiccan and celebrate the sabbat of Yule, I certainly do not see any problem with it. 

For example, my husband is agnostic, but he has always respected my decision to be a Wiccan. Even though he does not actually participate in our circles and sabbat celebrations, he is still there with me and he helps me in any way he can.  He has always stood by me and supported me throughout these many years. The fact that he does not follow my own personal religious beliefs, does not mean that he can not be accepting of them.


As a Wiccan Priestess and teacher, I am also a strong advocate of religious tolerance, and as such, I truly believe in “practicing what I preach.” After all, it is a road which runs both ways.  It is important for us to remember that, ultimately, we all breathe the same air and we are all a part of the same universe – regardless of our various faiths and diverse religious beliefs.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that, as Wiccans, we must practice religious tolerance. All of my family is Christian, and although they live thousands of miles away from me, if given the chance I would spend their Christmas with them. I don't have to share their beliefs to love them and spend time with them.

    My husband sounds like yours! LOL! He doesn't practice Wicca with me, but he's supportive and encouraging and is even coming to a Winter Solstice celebration with me. It's all about love - no matter our differences.

    Thanks for sharing and Blessed Yule!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said, my sister! We celebrate Christmas for the sake of our children. This will be the first year we have formally celebrated Yule and they are used to Christmas. Being a waldorf family, we celebrate everything, lol!

    We are trying to start a nice tradition this year with Yule so that next year the children will look forward to it with the same anticipation they hold for Christmas. We have a special ceremony planned along with a special meal and a very special gift (something for our nature table, of course) that the "Yule Fairy" will leave for them.

    I think that many first generation Pagans, Wiccans, Buddhists struggle with how to celebrate our holidays and festivals. I know it is something we struggle with a lot. We need to be the ones to make our traditions so that they are carried forth.

    But in the end, we will always celebrate the Christian/American holidays, if for no other reason than to be close to family and share our goodwill with them. It is afterall, the spirit of the season that is the important part.

    Happy Yule to you!

    ReplyDelete