We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Skating Fever

Ever since I was a small child, my entire family had always been avid fans of figure skating. As far back as I can remember, I used to sit around the living room television with my folks ~ my eyes glued while watching the Winter Olympic Games. My oldest memory is from 1976 (I was in sixth grade then) when  Dorothy Hamill won her Gold Metal and, of course, I also remember the British Ice Dance pair of Torvil and Dean as they awed everyone with their legendary 6.0 Free Skate to the music of "Bolero."

My mom and I always watch Figure Skating every chance we get and always wished that someday we could actually see a skating competition live ~ holding our breath as our favorite skaters performed their athletic jumps and spins. And so in October of 2007, we had finally gotten that opportunity as Skate America (an important International Skating competition) was held in our home town of Reading, PA.

I bought tickets for both my mom and myself and my mother-in-law who also really enjoys Figure Skatng. It was sort of a "girls night out" kinda thing.  It was far cooler than I had ever imaged as we walked through the stadium hallways listening to people speak their native languages of Japanese, Chinese, Russian, etc. It was like having the United Nations right here in the City of Reading!  Very cool!!

As we took our seats, to the left of us was Scotty Hamilton and Sandra Bezic commentating as we watched the skaters take their practice runs before taking the ice. We saw some really great performances from skaters such as American Champion Kimmie Meissner, Evan Lysacek who later went on to become the 2010 Oympic Men's Gold Metalist, Emily Hughes, World Champion Daisuke Takahashi from Japan, Canadian Ice Pair Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, American Olympic Ice Dance Silver Metalists Meryl Davis and Charlie White, Olympic American Ice Dance Champions Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto, and so on ...

Kimmie Meissner had a flawless performance

Chinese Pair Team of Xiaoyang & Chen Wang

But I think the most exciting part of our evening was when Evan Lysacek landed his Quad Toe-Loop and continued to have a perfectly flawless performance as we all stood up and screamed at the top of our lungs, "YEAH! WHOO HOO! YEAH!!!" LOL!!


Of course, I had to pick up a little souvenir of this memorable occasion ...


I bought a Skate America Bear with commemorating pin and a huge color program for each of us. I remember my mom was so ecstatic to be there that at one point she looked over at me and said, "Kim, you did good!!!"

Afterwards, we all went out for a late dinner at Ruby Tuesday's and had a great time doing a bit of "family bonding."


(Just an aside ~ don't you think that my friend Willow's hubby, Sean,  resembles Ben Agosto??) ...

Me posing with Sean in 1998 (one of my fav pics of us)

Ice Dance Figure Skating Olympian Ben Agosto

Hmmm, what do you think, Willow???

6 comments:

  1. A little bit, lol!! OMG, Kimmy! He was such a baby in that picture. But then I guess we all were really, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You can say THAT again, my sister! LOL!!!! Ah, I remember it well ...
      :)

      Luv ya!

      Kim

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful night that must have been! I know you all had goosebumps! I always get almost too scared to watch the skaters as they prepare to do a jump, my stomach gets tied up in knots! And I have to say your friend Sean is an amazing double for Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful memory you created, Kim!!!

    Yes!!! He sure does :)

    Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, what a great night! I love skating too and so does mom ;o) Our favorite was man's skater Elvis Stojko and dance pair She-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz. And we saw them on a skating tour in Toronto, how exciting! Actually, we saw the show twice. Sean and Ben do look like twins ;o) Take care my friend ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy ~ I love Bourne & Kraatz, too! Elivis Stojko was such a powerful skater and I also like Patrick Chan as well!

      So glad you and your mom were able to see the live performences ~ they are so very awesome in person rather than watching them on TV! Makes a big difference!

      Hugs,

      Kim

      Delete