We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience

Monday, January 18, 2021

Imbolc Lore


I don't know about you, but I have always been fascinated by the history of the holidays which we celebrate - both contemporary and pagan. The way in which they have changed and evolved over the years (even centuries) I find extremely interesting. So much so, that you will find many posts which I have published since I began this blog back in September of 2010.

I love to share as many traditions, poems, recipes, and lore as I possibly can. And, I must admit that I also love the lore and fun of Groundhog Day, which has its' own origins - and faithfully watch our own Punxsutawney Phil live on our national media channels here in the United States and always enjoy sharing the live coverage on this blog every year.


In the meantime, here's a bit of lore for everyone ~

According to an English song:

If Candlemas be fair and bright,

Come Winter, have another flight;

If Candlemas brings clouds and rain,

Go Winter and come not again.

According to an old Scotch couplet:

If Candlemas Day is bright and clear

There'll be twa (two) winters in the year.

Another variation of the Scottish rhyme:

If Candlemas day be dry and fair,

The half o' winter to come and mair,

If Candlemas day be wet and foul,

The half of winter's gone at Yule.

The German's recited:

For as the sun shines on Candlemas Day,

So far will the snow swirl until May.

2 comments: