We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience

Sunday, October 02, 2022

Evita! Evita! Evita!


Maria Eva Duarte Peron affectionately known as "Evita" (1919-1952)

The following post is not meant to be a biography of sorts on the subject of Eva Peron's life, but rather more of a tribute to "The First Lady of Argentina". After all, all one need do is search the many sites and read the many books about her life - no need to write a book here on my blog when you can read about her life anywhere.

Back in 1983, I had a chance to see the musical "Evita" in Philadelphia, PA. It was a fabulous show, and even though at the time I had not known anything about Juan and Eva Peron, I knew that the story was based on her amazing life. After buying a couple of books on the subject - (both books of which concentrated mainly on Juan and Eva Peron and his political career as President of Argentina and what was called, "Peronism"), I found myself completely fascinated by Eva Peron's life story. Not because of any politics, but the woman in the heart of it all - a nation which desperately needed her and she them. My God, what a beautiful and strong woman she was! ...

I also wanted to know how much of the Broadway musical was in fact truth so I have shared some photos of Eva through the years and added some excerpts from the songs from the show reflecting certain periods in her life. I hope that you enjoy!

Eva donning a Christian Dior dress ...
'
''I came from the people. they need to adore me,
 so Christian Dior me from my head to my toes;
I need to be dazzling! I want to be rainbow high!
They must have excitement and so must I ...
I'm their savior - that's what they call me;
So Lauren Bacall me - anything goes,
To make me fantastic I have to be rainbow high,
in magical colors! ...
You're not decorating a girl for a night on the town!
And I'm not a second rate Queen getting kicks with a crown!"
(taken from the song, "Rainbow High")


It had been the tradition of the Sociedad to elect the First Lady of Argentina as president of the charity. But the ladies of the Sociedad did not approve of Eva Perón's impoverished background, lack of formal education, and former career as an actress. The ladies of the Sociedad were afraid that Evita would set a bad example for the orphans; therefore, the society ladies did not extend to Evita the position of president of their organization. It has often been said that Evita had the government funding for the Sociedad cut off in retaliation. This version of events is arguable, but the government funding that had previously supported the Sociedad now went to support Evita's own foundation. The Eva Perón Foundation began with 10,000 pesos provided by Evita herself.



A crowd of an estimated two million gathers in 1951 to show support for the Juan Perón–Eva Perón ticket ...

"Would you like to try a college education?
Own your landlord's house?
Take the family on vacation?
Eva and her blessed fund can make your dreams come true,
Here's all you have to do, my friends -
Write your name and your dream on a card or a pad or a ticket -
THROW IT HIGH IN THE AIR!
And should our Lady pick it,
She will change your way of life for a week or even two ...
Name me anyone who cares as much as Eva Peron! ...
Never been a lady loved as much as Eva Peron!"
(taken from the song, "And the Money Kept Rolling In (and out)"



In 1951, Eva was chosen by her husband as a candidate for vice-president. This move was not welcomed by some of Perón's more conservative allies to whom the possibility of Eva becoming president in the event of Juan Perón's death was not acceptable.

Eva was immensely popular particularly among working-class women. The intensity of the support she drew from the people is said to have surprised even Juan Perón himself. The wide support Evita's proposed candidacy generated indicated to him that Eva had become as important a figure of the Peronist party as Juan Perón himself was.

"Don't cry for me Argentina,
The truth is shall not leave you;
Though it may get harder for you to see me;
I'm Argentina! And always will be!" ...
(taken from "Eva's Final Broadcast")
Eva Perón addresses the Peronists on May 1, 1952. By this point she had become too weak to stand without Juan Perón's aid.

"Don't Cry For Me Argentina" ~ Patti Lupone (1983)

🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰

Sadly, Eva Peron passed away on July 26, 1952 at the age of 33 of cervical cancer. Some critics of the musical "Evita" feel that the show, although the events themselves were mostly accurate, focused a bit too much on the negative aspects of her life and her social and political ambitions rather than all the good she had done for the people of her Country However, I personally am of the opinion that this musical was a combination of the so-called positive and negative aspects of which encompassed her life and career. This show had some of the most poignant scenes and had me in tears at the end.

Nearly 3 million people attended Evita's funeral in the streets of Buenos Aires.

"The choice was mine and mine completely,
I could have any prize that I desired;
I could burn to the splendor of the brightest fire -
Or else, or else I could choose time;
Remember, I was very young then,
And a year was forever and a day -
So what use could fifty, sixty, seventy be?
I saw the lights and I was on my way -
And how I lived!
How they shown!
But, how soon the lights were gone -,
Oh my daughter! Oh my son!
Understand what I have done."
(taken from "Lament")
.


Unfortunately, there has been so much controversy and debate about the actual details of Eva Peron's life. But, one thing is certain, she will always be the most beloved and remembered First Lady of Argentina!

One of my good Blogger friends of his blog, "Lone Wolf Concerto"  was kind enough to allow me to share his blog post, "Lament for Eva Peron" and so, I am including it here for your reading pleasure. THANK YOU, JON - you're the BEST! ...

(Actual footage of Eva's final speech)

3 comments:

  1. This is a great post, Kim. It's well written and contains information that I never knew. I remember long ago when the musical Evita was playing in Los Angeles with Patti LuPone. Unfortunately I never got to see it, but the endless advertisements were intriguing. I had never heard of Eva Peron before that but (much like you) it sparked my interest and I started doing a lot of reading about her. She was absolutely fascinating. Thanks for this interesting post (and the photos).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jon! And I am very glad that you enjoyed it!!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know much about her so this was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete